Sunday, February 6, 2011

Proverbs 31 Part 3

She looks for wool and flax and works with her hands in delight-Proverbs 31:13
When I read this verse, I really have to examine that last part and how it pertains to my life. "Works with her hands in delight" I work with children, which can be a joy and a stress at the same time, and I admit I have a habit of complaining. Which reminds me of a verse (Philippians 2:14) that says to do everything without complaining or arguing. Hmm... Outside of my job, I have homework, not something I enjoy doing especially this semester with all my science based classes. I hate science. Delighting in the work of my hands. A Proverbs 31 woman might not instantly enjoy everything she puts her hands too, for example, changing diapers, doing laundry, paying bills, doing homework, etc but she can do everything as if she were doing it for the Lord, because we strive to honor Him in all we do. I am definitely going be thinking and meditating on that this week.


"She rises also while it is still night, and gives food to her household and portions to her maidens. She considers a field and buys it; From her earnings she plants a vineyard" Proverbs 31:15-16
 The Proverbs 31 woman is diligent, she wakes up early to get her family and house ready for the day. She makes wise financial decisions and invests in things that will benefit her family. Now, let's apply this to single life. Finances have always been hard for me, my family was always in debt, and unfortunately I have not learned fully from their mistakes. I am in debt from school but also have some credit card debt that I am determined to pay off in the next 6 months. I do not want to go through life living above my means, and not honoring God in how I spend God's money. The Bible is very clear that debt is not a good thing, the borrower is slave to the lender. So, how do we as single women make good investments or be financially responsible? We learn and practice Biblical financial principles, staying out of debt (as much as possible, which can be difficult with college). Tithe. Yes I know, its a scary word. However, tithing is very important, God promises that we can test Him on this. Malachi 3:10. I am a poor college student, but tithing is a must, yes it's 10% but it's God's money not mine, and He gets it back, I have to surrender my sense of 'control' over what is not even mine.


~Set Apart~
CaseyMay

1 comment:

ams said...

I really liked these posts about Proverbs 31! I'm so excited to see and hear all that you're learning in this season of waiting! I know it's not fun at all...as I've been there, but it is worth it in the end! Someday, hopefully not to long from now, I think you'll look back and be amazed at what you learned at this time! :)
<3 Amy