Thursday, February 3, 2011

Proverbs 31, and a woman's heart

I have been thinking about Proverbs 31 today. So often I hear women talk about how they never think they can 'become' a Proverbs 31 woman or that they have something against the Proverbs 31 woman because she seems perfect. I have this theory that men and women view this Proverbs 31 type of woman differently. So I asked a few of the men in my life, their perception is one that I think more women should adopt.


There is this desire for women, this false perception that we have to earn things in life. This is our 'Martha' nature. (Luke 10:38-42) Martha, like many of us, are caught up on our to-do list, our planners, our pressure to preform and be the 'perfect' woman. While Mary is sitting at the feet of Jesus. How does this relate to Proverbs 31? I think many of us have the tendency to look at the Proverbs 31 woman, and see all the things she is 'doing' and say to ourselves, "How can I ever be her? I can't even handle my single life!" or whatever we can't handle at that moment. Notice that is does not say in Proverbs 31 that this woman is perfect.


I think we miss the HEART of the Proverbs 31 woman. The Word says that our hearts are the wellspring of life (Proverbs 4:23). If our hearts are focused on Christ, then it is not a burden to be a Proverbs 31 woman.


The men that I have talked to have a different idea than we do about the Proverbs 31 woman.
She loves God. She takes care of her home, her value is far greater than just that because she handle other affairs as well. She wants to or did marry I Godly man, respects him and his position. She is an awesome mom and is known for her kindness and generosity. She is not a push over but takes pride in what God has called her to do and does it diligently. She does not try to over power her husband, but supports him and is submissive. 


This is the view of one of my good friends, that is a man of God, and I think it is quite accurate. I have this huge urge to pick this section of scripture apart in one blog, but I won't. Instead I am going to do something I have never done before. I am going to do a series, all about my study of Proverbs 31.


My perspective may be different from most, especially because I am a single woman. So those of you who are not in that category please bare with me. I do not think I have this figured out,  not in the slightest. However, I believe that God's Holy Spirit lives in me, that I have the mind of Christ, and knowing that God's word does not return void, I am confident that I will have a better understanding of what it means to be a Proverbs 31 woman: A woman after God's own heart, a woman who fears the Lord.




~Set Apart~
CaseyMay

2 comments:

kevin blumer said...

hmm im single to god tricky one and love did they ever metion love in the bible would be an intresting one i never seen it thou shall love ones self but never more than you love god

CaseyMay said...

Hi Kevin,
The Bible does talk about loving God first and foremost and then loving your neighbor as yourself, and that those are the greatest commandments, You can find that in Matthew 22:38-40, Mark 12:30-32, and Luke 10:26-28. Love is actually mentioned many time through out the Bible, if you do a search of the word love on biblegateway.com you will find hundreds of verses talking about love.