Friday, February 4, 2011

Proverbs 31 Part 2

An excellent wife who can find? For her worth is far above jewels.-Proverbs 31:10
This verse is somewhat self explanatory. An excellent wife's worth is priceless. So, how can I be an 'excellent wife' even though I am not married? I think Proverbs 31 may help us with that answer, so let's keep going.
The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain.-Proverbs 31:11
We can see by this verse that trust is essential. Now, I don't think you have to be in a relationship to understand how important trust is. How can we become trustworthy people or trustworthy women? We can live above reproach (Philippians 2:15), not be a gossip or slanderous (1 Timothy 3:11), and be a good friend. Ultimately, when we get married, our spouse will be our best friend and our lover, both things must be rooted in trust and in Christ. As women, it is crucial that we trust our husbands. As a single women it is imperative that we trust The Lord first and foremost, and completely. 


Also as woman, we must learn to trust others. One way I evaluate that in my life is to look at my friendships. Am I trying to control them? Am I easily frustrated and angry when things don't go the way I want them too? Do I trust the Lord with these same situations, recognizing that He is in control? I look especially close at my relationships with the men in my life, do I let them lead? Do I trust them or am I always looking over their shoulders ready to correct them? These are things we can be cultivating in our lives right now in order to be a Proverbs 31 woman. These things are healthy and achievable through Christ. It is not a burden but a joy to trust!


Let's look at one last verse.
She does him good and not evil, all the days of his life.-Proverbs 31:12
It would be easy to read this verse, and then say "I got that down!" and move on. However I want to linger here for a moment. Now our concept of doing some thing 'evil' probably looks different. So let's break that down. Taking a look into our relationships/friendships with men in our lives. Do we constantly put them down? Are we mean to them? Do we do things to frustrate them or get them riled up? Do we disrespect them? Do we talk about them in a negative light? As women, we are made to be nurturers, we give life physically and by the things we say and do. Once we are married we are called to bring honor to God and to our husband.

~Set Apart~
CaseyMay