Sunday, January 3, 2010

Real Life, Real Love, Real Pain

I have been back home with my family for almost 3 weeks. This is the longest I have been home in over a year. I have learned much about life and about love...

Today I was on the verge of tears thinking about leaving my family and best friend to go back to Texas, not knowing when I will come back home. As my heart aches I am reminded that it is only because I really love them that I hurt.

In life there is much pain, and in many of our lives we are hurt by those we love the most. At times those hurts can cause us to guard our hearts-sometimes closing it off completely. We can be afraid to get close to someone because we fear that they will leave us, or betray us, causing our hearts to be broken all over again. But if we do not love, we will surely die. Consider this:

“To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket- safe, dark, motionless, airless--it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable.”--CS Lewis
This quote was given to me by a dear friend last year, during a time in my life that I did not want to love, for fear of having my heart broken once again.
Love hurts, but not in a negative way. 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a
Love is patient
love is kind
and is not jealous
love does not brag
and is not arrogant
does not act unbecomingly
it does not seek its own
is not provoked
keeps no record of wrongs
does not rejoice in unrighteousness
but rejoices with the truth
love never fails
Love is not easy by any means. But to love deeply is to really live. Saying goodbye, or even walking through life with those you love hurts. The love Christ displayed on the cross hurt too.
Love Deeply.
~Standing on His Promises~
CaseyMay

3 comments:

Elizabeth J. said...

Casey May, thank you for commenting on my recent blog post.=)

Stephanie said...

Casey, you shouldn't apologize for only finding the post when you did. I didn't actually expect anyone to read it all even if it was found. So anyways, thanks.

I'm sorry I haven't been checking up on you with any regularity. I really thinks it's true that we will die if we don't love. I don't think I've ever loved without getting hurt at least a little.

This reminds me of one of Switchfoot's new songs: Yet. "If it doesn't break your heart, it isn't love."

Anonymous said...

This was encouraging!