Friday, August 20, 2010

Season of Isolation, Refinement, and Revelation

I really enjoy people, I am a very relational person, however it seems as though the Lord has given me a lot of opportunity to be alone, with Him, and no one else. It's in these moments that my character, and priorities are shown, and I often realize I have lost my focus, my devotion, to pursuing the King of my heart, and I quickly see the idols I put up in my life, those escapes, and distractions. In those moments, I am refined, the Lord shines His light on all the dark corners of my heart, and brings it all into the light.


I read Mark 8:1-9, Jesus feeds thousands with 7 loaves, and some fish. We've heard the story any times, but something struck me tonight. 


Jesus tells the disciples that He feels compassion on the people that have followed Him for three days. He doesn't want to turn them away hungry because they have traveled a long way and may faint on the way home. They say, "Where will anyone find enough bread here in this desolate place to satisfy these people?" Pause. Desolate place. Remember that...


Jesus asked his disciples how many loaves of bread they had. Notice that Jesus didn't ask the disciples to run through the crowd on a scavenger hunt for bread.
The disciples had 7 loaves and a few fish. Jesus gave thanks, broke the bread, and started giving it to the disciples to feed the people. The people were satisfied and there were 7 large baskets of bread left.


How many times in life, are we in a desolate place. When situations or circumstances wear on us, when things seem impossible, hopeless, too much for us to handle. We look to Jesus and say, "I don't know how this will ever turn out for the better. This is impossible. It's too big, too much, too painful, etc." 
Jesus doesn't send the disciples on a grand adventure to find something He can work with. He asks them what they have. And He asks us the same thing, what do we have, a glimmer of hope, a baby step of faith, a dream, a prayer, some loose change, a few pieces of bread, etc? 


Jesus gave thanks, and multiplied what the disciples gave. Are we thankful for what we have? Even if it doesn't seem like much, are we thankful? Jesus can take our small offering, and turn it into something miraculous, if we let Him.


What can you thank God for, what can you offer Him in this desolate place? Will you allow Him to use it for His glory, to overcome, to work miracles?


~Standing on His Promises~
CaseyMay

1 comment:

Katy said...

Beautiful thoughts and beautifully written. :)